5.09.2010

A week's worth

A weeks' worth of riding behind me and working into day 10 of the plague, I won't bore you with the minute by minute details of my past rides, but here are some highlights:

*Thursday's lesson included one hour of her undivided attention...seriously, one hour of ZERO herd bound behavior...no calling, none. It was quite amazing. We worked on lots of ground pole work, which she thought was super fun, managing to get quite full of herself (while still keeping it together) in between exercises. We did a little bit of canter work and I had one of those great "a-ha" moments where my instructor reminded me to ask her for the canter and then wait and I did just that...she said to wait until I felt her canter underneath me and then ask her to move on. It was fantastic. I know that doesn't sound like anything, but when you are struggling with a green horse and something just clicks, it's huge!

*Saturday I showed up to ride her and she was a bit injured. Now the weird thing about this is that I had a dream Friday night that she hurt herself (much worse in the dream)...so I was freaked out when I brought her in and she had scratches up and down her left hind. Her leg was stocked up and it looked like she got cast during the night and cut herself with a chip on her right hoof...grr...the farrier comes this week where that crack will likely get trimmed off and she'll get her first set of front shoes. Sadly the ground on the property it too hard for her not to have at least front shoes on since she's turned out 24/7. Initially our plan was to throw her on the trailer to join some girls at a local show so she could have the experience of leaving the property and hanging out in a new place. One of the girls showing fell right before my lesson Thursday and broke her wrist so my instructor decided to sit this weekend out. I was happy about that because not only was she hurt, but there were 50 mph wind gusts all weekend. I rode her a little to see if she was off, and cold hosed her for 20 minutes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she's sound for Tuesday!

**Oh yea, I brought my camera to take confirmation photos of her but obviously chose to wait...maybe I will wait until her new bridle arrives this week!

I had a nice trail ride this morning on my favorite therapy horse Sergio. Volunteering this afternoon was equally rewarding as one of my favorite riders with CP rode Sergio without any assistance from me...I nearly cried. She's seriously come so far since last year when she could barely hold the surcingle. Equine happiness on all fronts.

No comments:

Post a Comment