11.23.2010

DC Day 2- Meaning behind your blog name

This blog was inspired a little chestnut mare named Kiki, who's name grew on me as much as she did during our time together. A home bred Hungarian WB/Thoroughbred cross she flopped into this world with a mind of her own. Apparently, from B's recounting, she refused to be born on schedule. People waited day and night for her to drop but she decided she'd enter the world in the middle of the night out in a field. B ran to see her new bay colt out in the field, picked up a leg and realized her bundle of joy was a chestnut filly!



It would be 6 years until she and I would cross paths after a few months of taking lessons at the new farm. My size and spitfire attitude led me to her as B saw something about the two of us that seemed to fit. She offered me the opportunity of a project and I jumped. I've never owned my own horse, or even leased one, so given this scenario, I couldn't resist. I didn't realize at the time that I was going to pay for every moment in sweat equity and that this little unassuming mare would teach me more about my riding than the hundreds of horses and ponies before her. Fast forward to 6 months later and she's found herself a new owner, a show barn and a career. Someone to love her every bit as much as I did.

I can still remember the very first day I worked with her. She scared the living daylights out of me. Just catching her and bringing her in to the barn was a challenge. I had been warned that she kicks, rears, and will knock you out with cannonball-esque maneuvers with her head. You couldn't trust her, ever. She was the epitome of an alpha mare, of a chestnut alpha mare and she was never going to let you forget it. This was all before I ever dreamt of putting tack on her. I wondered how we would ever get to the point that I would be sitting on her back.

Our relationship grew stronger over the months, I started riding her and while every 3 or 4 rides she would act like a maniac, there were quiet days too of on-the-buckle rides around the perimeter of the farm, hand grazes and picnic lunches together, long days spent sleeping in the cross ties while I fawned over every inch of her, and of course I'll never forget her whinnying to me across the property or galloping to me in the dark at the sound of my voice.

She inspired this blog and helped me to start writing about my new journey with horses. She inspired me to keep moving forward with my riding...there were certainly days that I felt consumed with self-doubt with what I was doing on her, whether or not I could handle the responsibility. It's allowed me to draw strength when I am riding other horses, channel the experiences I had with her and try to apply them to horse I am riding that moment. She's inspired me to dig deep, sit up, and ride.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely encapsulation of your time with Kiki. It's clear she gave you a lot to carry into your next chapter, and I suspect you did as much for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am so grateful for my experience with her. Today I walked into the tack room and B had all the photos I gave her framed. There on the wall is a 24 x 30 duotone of Ms. Kiki. She will be forever remembered. I brought her bridle home with me tonight as a keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently found your blog...

    Love the 30 day challenge idea - you've done a lovely job so far. In fact, you've inspired me to give it a go :)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete