Work and life have been busy and productive so I've been completely slacking with the journal entries! Not to worry, I HAVE been making time to read everyone else's blogs, it's only been my own that has suffered.
 |
| Kazi says "pbbbbbttttt" |
In the last few weeks, I have gotten to ride Kazi two more times. The second ride was awesome and ultimately determined whether or not I would lease him (I am). He was really responsive to me (still a bit stiff and not forward enough) but after we warmed up he loosened up quite a bit. Although he's outside all day, his turnout is rather small and certainly not big enough for him to really stretch his legs or back (more on this later). The beau came to meet him for test ride #2 and he was instantly impressed with Kazi's personality. Yay! I really wanted to see how his brain worked so I asked quite a bit of him on that ride. We worked on LOTS of lateral stuff and he was super cute trying to figure things out. His groundwork training really helps with this and you can almost see him translating the Parelli work to stuff under saddle. I'd ask for a turn on the haunches and he'd look at me with a big question mark and then I would make his body move and a little light bulb moment would happen and he'd say, "Oh, THIS...ha, I know how to do this". Each movement became easier and easier as he figured out what I was asking of him. By the end of our ride he was chewing and happy and had created tons of foam! D said that she hadn't seen him like since his trainer rode him last year! Hooray! He was rewarded for a great ride by some hand grazing on the fresh spring grass that is poking up around the arena.
I went to see him last Saturday and the girl who trained him post-track was there too. It was awesome to see her ride him because she didn't let him off the hook for one second. He's completely the kind of horse that needs to be pushed through the sillies. He looks to his rider for security and without it he freaks a little. He was especially goofy on Saturday. He was leaping around the arena, spooking at things he's seen a million times and just being a baby. He would get all bunched up at the scary end of the arena and then spook at something. He was being particularly sticky about moving forward and after she hopped on him and put him through his paces he was much better. I realized that using a small set of spurs will help tremendously (she was riding in some). At this point in his fitness he requires SO much leg that you become exhausted riding him. I really want to improve his willingness to move forward, and then forward into contact. He'll take up contact, but it's not always correct. Unfortunately his owner has been taught some incorrect things, and I don't want to offend her or rub her the wrong way, but I'm not going to ride him that way. For example, she told me to drop my hands low and wide by my thighs and see-saw him into a frame -- it makes me cringe. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather him trotting around in a lowish frame moving out before I ever ask for contact. I want him moving off my inside leg into my outside rein (which right now he seems to ignore outside aids). I pride myself on having light and quiet hands and that's not going to change. Hopefully, getting to ride him by myself will help and I found myself a bit frustrated Saturday with the tips I was getting. I also ordered a new set of spurs which should be arriving in the next day or two. I want to be able to focus on getting him forward without having to use every inch of my body to balance him. I also don't want him to get dull to leg aids. Right now I feel as though I am just nagging him with my leg. The other thing to note is that I got on him without doing any ground work first. Granted I have only ridden him 3 times, but my test ride was in 50 mph winds and he wasn't nearly as silly as he was last Saturday. I think it helps get his brain in the right place and puts him into work-mode a little easier. I also got a super nice compliment from his owner Saturday when she said watching me ride him the week prior made her feel very jealous (not in a bad way mind you).
 |
| vrrroooommmm! |
After everyone rode him we free lunged him in the arena. I really wanted to see him move out and I figured it would be good for his body and brain. It was just incredible to see him run around, holy hell can he run!
 |
| Kazi says "Go fast, turn left!" |
Here are a few photos of him from the track borrowed from his owner's facebook page:
 |
| win photo! |
|
 |
| *so sad he can't jump, he's got a beautiful hind end | | | | | | |
|
Hopefully, I can get out there this weekend and have another ride on him. Last week it was so warm I rode in a t-shirt. This Saturday it should be close to 60 so I can't wait! I'll try to get some photos or video of the two of us this time.
Let the journey begin.
He's lovely :)
ReplyDeleteWow! Sheesh, he looks like a horse in an old George Stubbs litho in that last picture.
ReplyDelete