I remembered. Like I did after the very first time someone hoisted me onto a pony. Like I did, dressed up with my very first lease horse for a fancy dress show. Like I did the very first time (after 11 years of riding) that I found myself in the dirt after being dumped by a naughty pony. Like I did the first time I breezed a racehorse in North Carolina. Like I did jumping through a 4 foot gymnastic on an opinionated Thoroughbred for the first time. Like I did when I came back to riding after so many years off and galloped draft horses for fun, bush-wacking and giggling through the Pennsylvania woods. Like I did when I met Kiki the first time, tied in her stall, white-eyed and skeptical, pawing at the ground. Like I did when I kissed her soft muzzle goodbye.
Like I always did, and always will.
I posted this photo to Facebook after my ride:
![]() |
| Happy to be back in the saddle (on a little pony!) |
I doubt if a truer statement has ever been made about me. I've officially been riding for 30 years -- that sounds crazy to me. Getting older is a strange thing... but as long as I have horses in my life, I'll always feel young.

This is such a great post :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was hard to not make it more emotional than this!
DeleteHoping you have a happy, healthy New Year - filled with milestones and horses. (((♡♡♡)))
ReplyDeleteI like keeping updated with your blog and nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award. Check out all the details at:http://unbridledbliss.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/blushing/
ReplyDelete