While my gut told me to pull Riley's shoes I don't have any credibility to back up that feeling, and without the thumbs up from the farrier and the vet I don't think it would have been an easy choice for me. It's only a been a week, but I am so pleased with the improvements so far. The new turnout schedule seems to be helping too. I know he prefers to be outside 24/7, but apparently he's become quite fond of his fan, living the life! But in all seriousness, I think just having a bit of a break from wet grass constantly is helping to firm up his hooves.
His Farrier's Formula arrived today (along with the Venice Turpentine) so that starts a new part of his treatment, another factor in this hoof equation. While he was still a bit gimpy on Tuesday morning, he was like a different horse this morning when I went to see him!
Generally, he's a bit on the lazy side. He's got it in him to be naughty and I've seen glimpses of his athleticism out in the field, but that never usually translates to how he is on the ground/under saddle. Today, rather than walk quietly across the field while his pasture mate canters over, he raced him to the gate! Oh boy. I took his buddy inside and grabbed him halter and lead to take him down to the arena for a soundness check. As I walked down I could sense that he was feeling quite full of himself, and without warning he squealed and bolted away from me. I literally had no idea this was coming until the lead rope slipped through my left hand and I was holding the end of it! Cheeky! I don't know if he was mad about not getting breakfast first or what, but he snorted the rest of the way. We got inside the arena, I unclipped his lead rope and grabbed the lunge whip assuming I'd have to chase him a bit...um, no. He took off at the most beautiful (sound) trot I've ever seen out of him. He proceeded to trot around making circles at either end of the ring changing his direction... it made for some good video:
What can I say? He looks great. I let him prance around for a bit, called him and he walked over very proud of himself. He was all too eager to get back to the barn and I had reinforce some ground manners en route. Seriously? Who is this horse? After breakfast I cleaned his feet and after a 15 minute battle with the lid, I put some turpentine on his soles. I don't want to jinx him, but I hope he keeps improving this steadily. I still might hold off on riding him for another week or so, but this weekend starts lunging boot camp 101. Time to get him in shape!
Also, I can't say thank you enough to all my readers (and friends, internet and otherwise) who have been so supportive throughout this. I know it's just a small thing in the realm of horses, but it's been nice to have my questions answered, hear stories about your horses, and get great recommendations on our situation. I feel very supported by all of you!
Glad he's doing well!
ReplyDeleteLooks like he is feeling good :)
ReplyDeleteYes! Cheeky thing. I was seriously grinning like a fool watching him strut around. This is probably the best he's looked since I got him! Wait til he gets some muscle.
DeleteHehehe he was having a day, wasn't he? Let us know how the turpentine works. I did TuffStuff for a while then switched to Keratex hoof hardener (expensive but it really works).
ReplyDeleteWill do. it's pretty messy, but my new farrier said he prefers it, so we'll go with that for now. I've been using keratex for months and I really like it!
Delete