I am in a weird funk right now. Things are not going well with Riley. He's not happy and either am I. It's been about a month since his shoes were pulled for good and even though I was told to keep him in work (and invested in TWO pairs of boots for him) he's miserable. How can I tell? Well, he's the kind of horse that greets you in the field, he comes in eager to please and never minds going to work. He's been avoiding me at all costs in the field. I have to drag him out and he's even planted his feet a few times and refused to move. Yes, this could just be stubbornness, but it's not. I'm dressing his feet with Sore No More before rides, Durasole after and babying the hell out of them to make sure that he's comfortable. He's not. Last night was the last straw for me and I left the barn feeling really defeated. What he needs is time and no agenda (and although I've convinced myself that I don't have one, I'm still holding on to a glimmer of hope that I can ride him sooner, rather than later). He needs to be in a lay up situation for the next 4-6 months. I don't want to rush this. I can't. He's too nice of a horse to simply put glue-ons on him, or pour $$$ into tests when we know it's his soles. I like the farm where we are now and it has lots of great amenities, but we can't use any of them. Yes, the arena has nice footing, but to get there he has to walk on gravel. To get from the field to the barn is the same story (and it's a hike). I thought about just leaving him there for the winter and trying to just go out once a week or so to pull him in and groom him, but I know he'll be miserable coming in across the rocky terrain/gravel.
 |
| Riley bashed his nose on the gate latch and cut it. Did I feel sorry for him? No* |
.jpg) |
Moving okay but still NQR even with boots.
He looks okay tracking left, but definitely sore tracking right. |
So what does this mean for us? Well, after I posted a photo of Riley on FB last night my trainer called me this morning. We had a weekend planned in two weeks where I was going to bring Riley down to do a little boot camp. Obviously that's out of the question now and I sent her an email this morning about that (which then prompted her phone call). She felt as though I should consider a diagnostic appointment at Penn on Riley's feet (I think she was under the impression that he was sore/off 100% of the time). Once we discussed the situation a little further she agreed that
time was the best answer for him and to re-evaluate in the Spring. We came to the agreement that Riley needs to be in a more closely monitored environment. Right now I have little control over his feeding situation and he doesn't have access to a stall if he needs it. So something needs to change. We discussed some possible situations and I'll share more with you guys once a firm decision has been made. I just want the poor dude to be happy and comfortable again!
In the mean time, I need to figure out a way to keep riding. I need to be in tip top shape by the time he's ready for me!
Also, when life gets you down, there's always puppies:
 |
| New hound puppies sunbathing |
 |
| This little guy is named Skunk! |
*I nearly had a heat attack when I saw the blood coming from his nose
**I quickly put 2 + 2 together and remembered he just bopped his nose on the latch
Oh no, that's the worst :( I hope he feels better soon
ReplyDeletethank you for the support!
DeletePuppies do make things better. Sounds like you have a good plan.
ReplyDeletethanks!
DeleteIt's so tough when you don't have giant field of blue grass to just throw them out in for the winter. Hopefully your new situation will help him progress a little faster. Having the right set up is definitely a blessing.
ReplyDeleteTell me about it. You saw our place and it's nice and all but there's gravel everywhere and clay under most of his paddock which gets wicked hard. We'll see what happens. There's a small part of me that's scared he's never going to be sound:(
DeleteHave you tried pads inside his boots? We were having sole problems this summer because of all of the moisture in Colorado and adding pads to the boots helped when they were the most tender. Even with the boots and pads, if your horse is sensitive they can feel the rocks, but that should be the extent of it. The boots should prevent stone bruises or more serious issues.
ReplyDeleteYep! He's got pads inside the boots too. I don't want to leave the boots on in turnout. But perhaps that's an option in the future. He was wearing leather pads/shoes with magic cushion underneath and was VERY sound, but he kept pulling shoes. Once we get his foot shape in order he should be able to hold shoes no problem.
DeleteIt'll be okay. See what you can do about finding him a chill place to be turned out for a while so his feet can recover.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lauren. I feel very sad about all of it. Like I am doing wrong by him or not doing enough. I hope that he feels better soon!
DeleteHang in there. Foot problems just take so much time. :( I hope you can find a better situation for him. I'm still totally jealous of your facility, but he needs some different options right now. Best of luck exploring those.
ReplyDeletePS My default coping mechanism for hoof problems is "buy horse #2". So far, so good.
ReplyDeleteEnabler:)
DeleteEnabler number two here...it can be fun! But really, so sorry about his feet, super frustrating. Time fixes many things.
DeleteHugs! It will be ok.. time is hardest thing to be patient with- you want to see your baby doing well and feeling good!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried Turpentine? My trainer says that does wonders for hardening their feet!
Yep, tried turpentine. We might go back to it though!
DeleteI tend to go crazy if I don't know an exact cause, so that probably impacts my thoughts, but I had a horse that had a very small fracture to his coffin bone. He was off and on lame, but once we figured out the actual cause we were able to fix it. Same happened with a horse that was developing cushings. I'm not saying time won't fix the problem, and I don't know all the issues you are having, but sometimes a diagnosis saves a lot of time, money and heartache.
ReplyDeleteThe diagnosis is thin soles, he's been x-rayed and has no changes in his bone, no gas lines, no abscesses. He flexed and jogged 100 sound at his PPE. No injuries, etc. I ca wait, if time will heal him.
DeleteSo bummed for you that he isn't 100% yet, but I'm sure the winter off will be good for him. Good luck finding a place for him and definitely more puppies in the meantime!
ReplyDeletethanks!
DeleteProbably the main reason Val transitioned smoothly to barefoot is that he lives in a sandy paddock. Don't know if that's an option for you, but it helped Val be comfortable until magnesium and biotin beefed up his soles. In the meantime (as Karley mentioned) we used Venice Turpentine - highly recommend it. :D
ReplyDeleteThinking good thoughts for you and Riley!
Oh I WISH that was an option. We're looking at a few different options, so we'll see At least he'll be more closely monitored.
DeleteMakes sense to me...one brightside, you dont have ride in the freezing cold winter! Hoping he feels better in Spring. I want Skunk, he's adorbs!
ReplyDeleteSometimes things really do just take time. More time than we want to wait, that is for sure!!!!! Solo has always been my wussy-footed boy, but after two years barefoot (omg....) he is FINALLY solid and good behind on a gravel. Encore on the other hand, grows a beautiful, solid, thick-soled foot in like two months. It really does just depend on the horse. And how much patience we have (the hardest part). But with a good farrier and vet working together, you'll get there!!
ReplyDeleteDurasole is magic stuff, be religious with it. And also remember that they only acclimate to the surface they spend most of their time on. So if they are on grass all the time, they are not going to get comfy on rocks. But it's a slowwwww process.
Thanks. It is nice to know that we are clear about what's going on. it's just frustrating waiting it out. I keep questioning whether or not I'm doing the right thing or wondering if there's something else going on. Thankfully, having the vet confirm all of this really helps. I was watching videos of him from earlier this summer and he looks so good. I know we'll get back there!
DeletePlans are good. Winter riding isn't as fun anyhow, and time really is the best healer. Hopefully everything comes together for the spring. In the meantime puppies are always a wonderful distraction.
ReplyDeleteahh such a bummer - good luck finding a solution! We have a retiree mare at our barn with awful soles and thin feet, and it's been a real struggle keeping her happy and comfortable, so I know your frustration.
ReplyDeleteI hope Riley gets better soon. Those puppies are so adorable.
ReplyDeleteI vote for a vet consultation - at least that way you know. Whatever you chose, I hope it works out and he starts feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteThe vet has already evaluated him... her recommendation in July was to pull his shoes then (we did, but it didn't last long, then we moved, etc etc), switched farriers and got he and the vet on the same page and now this is where we are. We figured pulling the shoes now rather than in the middle of winter would lesson the pain/frustration during the transition. If he were crippled on all surfaces I would be on my way to New Bolton with him. The truth is, he is improving, slowly... I'm just not sure if his environment is the best situation for him to heal properly.
DeleteI saw on your comment on Carly's blog that you have plans in the works - hope it does the trick! What a frustrating situation.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I've awarded you the Sunshine Award!
eventingincolor.blogspot.com