 |
| Being a little bit wild tracking right (his bad side) |
Things started off a little rough while I reinstalled lunging basics with Riley. He was very good about his first time wearing the Pessoa. He's only the second horse I fitted one on and based on their very informative video on Youtube, I was prepared for typical reactions to the piece that goes behind their hind and how to set him up for success with the lines. Something tells me that Riley may have been long-lined at some point because he was the least reactive of all three horses we worked with on Saturday (*Henry gave out a series of hilarious bucks showing his disdain for the system). But I instantly got what I wanted on lunge = forward. He was very forward, so without any instruction (and he wasn't being naughty) he immediately picked up a trot once I let him all the way out on the line. I encouraged him to continue to move out and settle in so he could get used to the tension on the lines (they were on the loosest setting).
 |
| Warm up trot:) |
 |
| Warm up canter -- look at that hind leg! |
Once he got a feel for lunging again/the Pessoa I set the system on the "long and low setting". Essentially you loosen the side lines and run them through the bit and between the legs. He looked brilliant tracking left and wants to hold himself in a natural self-carriage. He also loves stretching and he was really reaching down and using his back. When I switched him to track right he started off really good but got distracted by a hunter just down the road a in safety orange jacket. he used it as an excuse to test me by stopping and turning in on the line. Grrrr. So we had a bit of a come to Jesus moment. With it being his first day back to work, I didn't want to frazzle his brain, but I also couldn't let him get away with that sort of behavior. Forward is always the answer. So, I stayed calm, made the circle smaller and tried again. He is a stubborn fool sometimes!!! Emily was supervising us and was giving me great advice, but I really couldn't anticipate just when to correct him without getting too aggravated so Emily took over. He got pretty nervous and Emily has to remind him that he could, in fact, walk to the right again (he gets very offended by the whip sometimes).
 |
| Emily walking Riley around the ring trying to reset his baby brain. | |
|
 |
| Emily, reinstalling FORWARD after his meltdown. Zoooooom! |
I'm such a visual learner, so it's incredible helpful for me to watch someone work with Riley. I stayed around to watch her work with her two young horses too and her mare reacts very similar to Riley so it was a great lesson! Once he got his brain back, Emily was able to really drive him forward by almost standing near his hind end (as opposed to his shoulder) and she reminded me that sometimes you have to almost "ride" them from the ground when they get stuck. It's like he's behind my leg, but on the ground if that makes sense. In the end, we got some really nice work out of him and Emily handed the line back to me so I could practice my new skills. I have to say, I'm really impressed with how he's looking. For a horses that's had 3 months off and was barely ridden last year the vacation had treated him well. He still has a top line and looks reasonably fit!
 |
| A little resistant, but getting the hang of things -- you can see the gears working:) |
 |
| Looking fancy. |
 |
| Not too bad for a horse that's been out of work. |
*I realize now after working him in the new bridle that I need to get Bartville to adjust the cheek pieces slightly. It looks fine from the side, but I think he needs it up a little higher on his nose.
**Also, I don't have a saddle yet, but I may be signing up for a Jimmy Wofford clinic in April! Yay!
He looks so fancy in it!
ReplyDeleteHe looks awesome!!! Keep up the good work!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the transition from "don't want to" to "I'm thinking about how all my parts move together!"
ReplyDeleteI love watching the baby brain working... it's not for everyone (working with green beans) but I adore watching them solve puzzles.
ReplyDelete