I managed to sneak away early from the office yesterday to meet with Emily and try out the new
potential saddle. It was MUCH nicer in person than I expected and it has clearly been well loved. Middleburg does a great job of vetting their used inventory so you don't have to worry about things like shoddy repair work or broken trees etc (which is why I am terrified of buying a saddle on Ebay). The leather is supple and soft with minimal wear. in fact, I could only find wear marks on the billets and the edges of the cantle.
I was nervous, to be sure... Riley as I mentioned, is difficult to fit... and he's opinionated when he doesn't like a saddle. I tossed the saddle on him bare and like what I saw right away.
 |
| Really like the balance from front to back. I put a pen on the saddle to see where the center of balance was and it was perfect. |
 |
| Overall, I liked the fit along the front of the flap. There was a slight gap toward the bottom but I knew that would change one it was girthed up. |
 |
| Great clearance around his withers. He doesn't have protruding withers, and since he wears a wide it's important to make sure the saddle doesn't crowd them. |
We decided to tack him up in just a simple pad to see how the saddle settled in once I was up (I usually ride in a half pad of some sort). Riley is the kind of horse that will really let you know when he's in pain of any kind. As I girthed him up he was licking and chewing and happy. No dancing around and no grumpy looks. I stuck my leathers on and realized that they match perfectly (so does my breastplate -- bonus!) and got on.
Whoa.
I felt like I was sitting INTO my saddle instead of perched on it. My leg felt locked it place and it was immediately super comfortable. I was very excited to go play around on it. Initially Emily was worried it was a tiny bit small for me (in the seat), but I could fit my entire hand behind me and she agreed it was just a completely differently style from my old saddle.
Now for more pictures (which is really all I am good for these days as a blogger):
 |
| Loving the position of my leg and weight in my heels for once! *just after a jump |
|
 |
| Comfortable enough to find my own balance again. |
 |
| Riley was VERY distracted by the cows off to our right and felt like myabe he should veer us into a standard as a way to escape them. |
 |
| My leg is still slipping a bit, but my balance was much better. |
 |
| I posted this one so you could see his cute expression, oh and my super talented way of climbing up my horses neck. |
 |
| When I picked up the canter, he felt the best he's ever been and Emily commented on both of us one stride in. The difference in this saddle is remarkable. |
 |
| And, then there's this... homeboy loves a stretchy trot. |
 |
| Back swinging and happy. |
We picked up our right lead canter first try from the walk and Emily was very excited for us! Jumping was a bit rough as it was a whole new feel of balance for me and not wearing spurs was not a good plan for such a hot day. But I needed to know how he felt over fences so off we went. Sadly, he gave me a serious case of whiplash after the last oxer by over-jumping and stumbling upon landing, if I had been in my other saddle I would have come off for sure!
I went on a nice hack after our ride and he was terrific. I hope this is the last saddle we'll need for awhile!
And Blogger is being an a-hole so no video for you! Tomorrow, Emily and I are going to set up a little combined test for ourselves to run through our dressage tests and do some jumping! I'll let you guys know how day two in the saddle goes!
Oh yea, one last thing:
 |
| Entered! |
Exciting! I used to love the BB saddles when I evented.
ReplyDeleteYay for saddles!
ReplyDeleteAlways a huge relief when you get a saddle that fits!! Fantastic stretchy trot
ReplyDeleteWoohoo delighted for you, looks smashing on him and the B&W photo you shared on insta is swoon - worthy!
ReplyDelete♡
Ps: apologies for not emailing pics of my BB saddle this evening. Afraid I got absolutely soaked changing my girls fencing in a thunderstorm this evening and sadly forgot to nab my tack cleaning stuff from the stable as i just wanted to get home & dry...I promise I will get them to you tomorrow!
Yay new saddle! You guys are looking super!
ReplyDeleteNice!! The right saddle makes all the difference. :-)
ReplyDeleteAlso, perhaps we should have a climbing the neck blogger position contest? I have some pretty great shots of myself doing the same move.
Yay!!!
ReplyDelete