7.21.2015

Hunterland, hooves and head shaking. **Edited with working videos!

Nerd alert.
First up: I rode in my first hunter show in about a billion years on a horse I had ridden once and it was his very first horse show of any kind. Did I mention he's a multiple stakes winner OTTB? Well, turns out he's also a class act and despite not having a confirmed right lead canter, we actually won something! I definitely felt very, very out of place in hunterland, but it was fun and I would do it again in a second! I really liked just being able to go in the ring over and over again to get a feel for things. I had no idea how self-conscious I would feel in the ring though... at least in eventing you feel like you are competing against yourself when you are in the ring (or rather, that's how I feel) but it's hard not to feel self-conscious in a ring full of really nice horses where everyone knows what the are doing and I'm just trying not to make a fool out of myself! The day started off a little rough because of imminent thunderstorms. We got the horses tacked up, walked around and then hacked down to the rings (it was quite a distance) and just as we get there, I hear the hounds (the show was at the facility of a local hunt club) baying and lightning strikes really close by (I nearly pee myself) and then KABOOM (thunder)! My lovely catch ride, stood stock still while I dismounted and everyone walked back to the trailers to hide for the insane 20 minute storm! He also didn't flinch during a WTC class where a horse bolted straight at us and dumped his rider. Thoroughbreds, man... so good. I'm so lucky to have really nice horses to ride while mine is doing... well, what is he doing???

I can tell you what he's NOT doing.

He's not head shaking!

It's been roughly 3 months since his first symptoms showed up (beginning of May, though i think he had some signs in late April), by June they were so severe I was really worried about what the outcome might be. It's been at least a month since I asked him to do anything on the lunge line and the last time I tried to ride him was a disaster so I just kind of ignored him for awhile. Keeping him under a microscope was doing my nerves no good and it was making me a bit bonkers (just ask my horse friends).

I kept hearing more and more updates about how well he seemed and that his symptoms had all but disappeared so I thought Saturday I try to stick him on the lunge line during the hottest part of the day to test it out.


And while he was naughty... save for a few sneezes, he showed no signs. If you look at the videos from previous posts about this the change is remarkable. Ps. If he looks a bit short in these it's because he's barefoot on crumbly hooves.



I actually cried into his neck after this one (a combination of things, but more out of sheer joy to see my horse feeling better).

And I have to say, for a horse that hasn't been ridden or worked since May, he's looking pretty nice. He fist up very easily and he's quite fat and sassy right now, so we'll be lunging for a few weeks until he gets shoes back on and his head is back in the game. I'm still going to be carefully watching for indications of head shaking, because I want to keep him as happy/comfortable as possible and with the weather being as hot and humid as it's been, there's still a chance that we're not out of the woods yet and I'm not sure how he'll be under saddle.

I lunged him again last night and he sneezed a bunch (normal) and I maybe, maybe saw a tiny glimmer of the head shaking, but he was also being VERY cheeky!

I tried to take video but literally every time I did he took it as an opportunity to bolt and spazz out because there was weed whacking in progress nearby. Twit.


Thinking cap engaged.

Full of sass.

Not too shabby for a horse 3+ months out of work, eh?
So, he gets shoes back on August 4th, and the farrier is going to tidy up his crumbling hooves tomorrow so they don't completely fall apart before then due to him stomping flies and growing out the old nail holes. I was going to maybe take him to a hunter pace Saturday, but I want to leave his feet alone and I think it wouldn't be the best idea to risk bruising his soles. So I'll just ride something else (I'm so lucky to have access to lots of other ponies)!

In case you are curious... what's seems to be working:
35 grams of Magnesiumin feed
Taurine (he's part of a study on HS that we just started -- it's an amino acid that is supposed to help with nerve disorders)
Night turnout

*He was on Shake No More Gold for a month, but we just finished it and I am giving him a few weeks off to see if it was a contributing factor. I am very grateful that we haven't had to go the steroid/drug route yet.

Oh, and I have a lesson with a local BNR Thursday! She's going to teach me on one of her cool former upper level horses! Wish me luck!

8 comments: