12.28.2015

Buzzzzz, buzzzz, buzzzz... that's the sound of inviting winter in.

We've had an unseasonably warm winter here in Philadelphia, as in... a few years ago we had several feet of snow and ice everywhere to deal with. This year, I haven't put more than a sheet on Riley (and he's being going without one on most days)!

With (another) move under our belts and new and exciting facilities awaiting us, I knew we'd be legging up much earlier than I was originally planning. I had his shoes pulled a few weeks ago, so I took his shoe allowance and spoiled myself by having him professionally clipped! Woo hoo!

Let just say, Riley was not super stoked about being removed from his best friend in the WHOLE world to get a bath.

Opinions, he has them.
I actually enjoy the process of clipping (though the hair everywhere sucks) but I don't have my own clippers and Riley's pelt (yes, it can only be referred to as such) is really weird and destroys blades no matter how sharp they are or how clean he is!!! Out of fairness to the groom, I bathed him within an inch of his life and prayed that he'd dry in time! As a thank you for my painstaking work, Riley decided to bite the ever loving shit out of me while I was checking his belly for dampness. Through my quilted vest he very nearly broke my skin (and I'm sporting a huge bruise/welt combo) -- to which I responded with a little reality check on ground manners thankyouverymuch. Needless to say, when the groom arrived he asked me if Riley behaves for clipping and I assured him that he'd be on his best behavior. As a general rule, he's great for clipping and really enjoys it, but you never know.

Look at his sheepish expression. That's what a naughty (clean) horse looks like.

I decided on a hunter clip but I had his whole face done too just for fun (and to see if anything creepy was lurking underneath).

I am so pleased with how his skin looks clipped. In previous years, he's dealt with all sorts of gross rain rot/fungus issues and once clipped he looked a bit sad. This year he's only got a few little spots of funk and the coat underneath was shiny! I think it's partially due to the mild weather, but also because I've been treating his funk with Listerine/water and grooming all his yucky spots feverishly (*honorary mention for Head and Shoulders here too).

So much hair!

But GUYS, I took out his tail braid and combed it out and WHOSE TAIL IS THIS???
It was well worth every penny, and I didn't mind helping to hold Riley when he got fidgety about his face. He looks incredible! I can't believe this is a horse who isn't in proper work yet!

What a handsome beast! Also, he looks wayyy better with a few less lbs. He's usually looking a bit rotund by now.

Best of all, I adore how his face looks clipped! He grows insane goat hair all over his chin and I think it makes him look pretty unremarkable in the winter. I think he has a very cute face when you can actually see it!

Almost palomino for the day! ps. still fuzzy inside those ears:)
I guess I should dig out his quarter sheet as winter decided to show up the DAY AFTER I CLIPPED HIM!!!!!! We haven't had consistent cold weather at all and of course now he has to go in two rugs!

Ah, well, at least cool down time will be a minimum!







6 comments:

  1. Clipping never fails to bring on winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so cute! I have clippers but detest hair everywhere... Annie might end up with a trace if it stays as warm as it has down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so cute! Look at that naked handsome mug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how he's held his fitness! He looks quite snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks very handsome! I didn't even think about trying Head and Shoulders on my horse. Going to have to steal that idea. Sydney has been having some funk under her blanket this year. I blame the warmer and wetter winter we are having.

    ReplyDelete