2.18.2011

How Google changed my life

It's hard to imagine life without things like cellphones (*or smartphones for that matter), the internet, and google maps. And while a big part of me yearns for those simpler times, I embrace most new technology as it arrives and try to fully utilize in my daily life -- otherwise, why am I paying for it?

In my search for instructors, horses, and riding situations of all types, I like to use Google maps to determine whether or not driving to a particular place is even "worth it". Admittedly, I am mostly using it to find out suggested driving routes and travel time, but the satellite and street view functions serve an important purpose too. Case in point:


The overhead view of the farm I am visiting tomorrow. Swoon. Look at that lovely outdoor ring (lighted) with new footing. And the path leading off to the top right is the entrance to Fairmount Park, and 56 miles of horse friendly trails. It's always amazing to me that places like this exist just a stone's throw from the busy city. I am actually going to attempt to take public transportation out there tomorrow, just for shits and giggles. I could drive (better yet, I could ride my bike there), but after checking the route it's an easy bus ride and it will confirm any doubts I have about making this place work if it goes smoothly. Who would have thought I could find a horse I would like, a place close by (manageable by a variety of transportation means), at a reasonable cost? The access to the park is just the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

I spoke with the horse's owner last night and she's awesome. Not only are we both photographers, but we seemed to have loads of things in common, most importantly our approach to horses. It's almost strange that she and I haven't crossed paths in this very small city at some point. I found out a little more information about the new horse. First, his name is Kazi. He is an OTTB and his registered name was Kamikaze Flyer. He was rescued from the Camelot Auction years ago by another woman who, with the help of his current owner, helped to nurse him back to health (mind and body). She said when they brought him home, he weighed 800lbs and he was a nervous wreck...poor fella! After years together, his first owner moved away and offered him to his current owner and of course she gladly accepted. She had just wonderful things to say about him, and I couldn't be more excited to meet him.

So, tomorrow at noon I will hopefully meet my new equine partner!

*Image borrowed from Courtesy Stable's website

3 comments:

  1. Oh, good luck. I hope he charms you in all the right ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome fellow and a nice barn - fingers crossed for you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google satellite view makes me extremely happy.

    ReplyDelete