3.15.2011

New book entitled...Prince of Wales OR Get Off My Damn Leg!

Though I have rarely worn spurs throughout years and years of riding, I am a strong believer in backing up aids, either with a whip or spurs and preferably being equipped during times of frustration...having to get off to fetch said backup can be downright frustrating and counter-productive. Anytime I've hacked out without a stick I have ALWAYS regretted it, as the predictability of a trail ride is like trying to see into the future and I wind up having to yank a branch off a tree to reaffirm my position. I'm not against either when used correctly, ie. The Persuasion Stick (sometimes horses just need ahem, encouragement -- or perhaps, a reality check) and certainly spurs hold a special place. That special place is allowing your leg to be effective without exhaustion. Particularly on a horse that has gotten a bit "dead" to leg in general. I have seen photos of Kazi ridden with a dressage whip, but I have also heard stories of him been rough handled at the track and based on how I've seen him spazz when he feel trapped, I'm going to stick to spurs for now (I've also seen him ridden in spurs and he does really well). Looking at some photos of me riding him last weekend I noticed that my leg was in this intense position trying to get him aware of it. If he was a horse I knew a little better I would probably get on and if I got no response he'd get a swift smack behind my leg -- generally that's all it takes some horses to humbly respect your leg. Sheesh, this paragraph makes me sound like a bully. I'm really not. I'd like to think that the best system is to teach the horse to respond to the lightest of aids. I've seen Kazi be ridden (and ridden him myself) enough to know he's ignoring us a little. I think some of it has to do with fitness, but also, I think he's smart and he's looking for ways to evade the tough work. One thing I know for sure, is that no matter how out of shape I might feel, my inside right thigh should not be burning every time I get off!



I went for a ride Sunday. Things in my personal life are messy once again (I won't bore you with details) and I stayed in bed nearly all day Saturday feeling sorry for myself (and nursing a little hangover). Thank God for my dog Hugo. He was such nice company all day. Sunday, I dragged myself out of bed and met Kazi's owner for brunch and some pony time. He's really getting to know me now and it's awesome to see him interact with me in a familiar sense. D got him right to work and I started my flipcam to catch some footage (I put it in a weird place and the video is not very good). She got him mostly warmed up and then I hopped on. He's still VERY sticky about moving forward, he'll drop his head and start to use his back, but then he bunches up and slows down....grrrr....The more you push the more he just collects. I really want to feel him in my hands and he just sort of holds his head there without really taking the contact. I am hoping I can help with that once we figure out FORWARD. He was bulging inwards against my inside leg (specifically tracking right) and it was terribly frustrating. I think because of the nice big riding arena they have he's gotten very dependent on the rail...Well, that's going to be the first thing I change when I start riding him. No. More. Riding. On. The. Rail. We're going to go all over that arena, serpentines, circles, quarter lines, diagonals, he's going to have to figure out straight and forward or we're never going back on the rail again! Muhahahaha! His behavior under saddle seems to have to do with a routine he's developed. It's not really naughty, it's just that he uses things as excuses to goof off...he'll bunch up, look away for a second and bolt. You can see it unfolding each stride. I think throwing in unfamiliar patterns will force his brain to have something new to look at at and he won't have an opportunity to anticipate things. Even though he's nothing like a school horse he has learned to predict things...ie. if he canters in one direction and changes rein, he immediately anticipates a canter depart going the other way (no, no, no) -- much like a horse memorizing a dressage test, I want him doing movements because I ask, not because he knows what is coming next. We got some good trot after we cantered and I think that's going to be a great way for me to get him thinking forward from now on. I think I will get on, warm up at the walk and then ask for a few laps of canter in each direction in a light seat and see if we can get some good trot work after that.

His toes have gotten really long and even though he's not due for new shoes until next week, he kept tripping on his toes (only when he was being lazy) and started to look a tiny bit footsore after D rode him a second time. He learned during this ride that I won't sympathize with him (more than anything I think I was being sensitive to his owner and didn't want to come across as too tough). I got after him a couple times and pushed him through some stubborn moments. What a good boy!

I keep feeling conflicted about whether or not I am doing the right thing, as in not taking lessons (and not having a chance to show), but really I think this will satiate my need to ride, while having a challenge, and perhaps it will turn into something more. I still want to get in some jumping lessons with B to balance things out. My friend with the two OTTBs who used to compete advanced has been blogging a lot about their progress and I would LOVE to go ride with her a little too (maybe she'll give me some jumping lessons!)

Kazi's owner is going out of town for a week starting tomorrow and even though my lease doesn't officially start until April, she's granted me riding priviledges! I think Friday I am going to take a half day (it's going to be 70!) and bring both 101 Dressage/Jumping books with me and start working on really deliberate exercises with him. There's a little girl leasing a fabulous pony there that she wants to take to jumper shows and I'm going to tell her about the book so she can set up little things for the pony (even though Kazi can't jump there are tons of great pole exercises that will help him with fitness and focus). I really like the energy at the barn and everyone there has been so welcoming to me.

at least one of us is photogenic
*Also, the barn is very laid back, evident in the fun attire I like to wear riding. I am wearing some real riding gear I swear!

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet horse. I love the picture.
    I had to read this as I struggle with the same issue on and off - my horse Rogo isn't always as forward as I'd like :)
    Good luck with all this. Sounds like you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kazi's a good looking horse. Also struggling with forward and contact with my guy. Glad to hear you've got someone nice to lease - riding always does a body good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree about reinforcing your aids. I train for an immediate response, then gradually reduce the aids until the horse moves responsively off a light cue. Spurs are very helpful for pluggy horses who selectively tune you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's silly, he wants so much to do a good job...he tries really hard, it's just getting all the pieces together. He'll get it together once his muscle develop again. But yea, I want to think "trot" and have him trot, and though he's never refused to move into a gait, I don't want it to be a negotiation either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only just started wearing spurs - Nacho's antics made it unwise before, but the occasional spur on Bonnie does exactly as I intend it to! I'm trying to improve my timing and use of a dressage whip - I'm so used to having horses (Nacho in particular) be so desperately intimidated by leg that I'm not so good at using artificial aids.

    ReplyDelete