I made it out on Monday afternoon to see Riley and I was pretty excited to ride after being so busy! My friend E rode him on Tuesday and Friday and he was very good for her! Friday she rode him in draw reins and she said he figured out what she was asking very quickly relaxing and lifting his back. YAY! It's pretty great having a former advanced rider sit on him when I can't! Before we rode we took a little excursion to Bartville Harness Shop. It's 8 miles from our barn and omgIwanttospendallmymoneythere. They make all of the Nunn Finer bridles for Bit of Britain (and some other stuff too) and it's wicked cheap (comparatively). It's a really neat place in the middle of Amish country and it's even lit with gas power lights! I was totally overwhelmed when we first arrived. Literally, rows and rows of beautiful handmade leather goods at great prices. They have a nice selection of used things too. I kept it together and tried to stick to my list... I wound up with; a figure 8 bridle (beautiful padded leather), a set of sure grip rubber reins (fancy and so nice), a BEAUTIFUL padded leather breastplate, a yoke attachment for over the neck on the BP, brushes, a pulling comb, buckets, a whip, a collar for Hugo, and some leather conditioner. Phew, all for $300. So awesome. The bridle alone costs close to that on BofB. We got away from the shop as quickly as possible in fear of spending any more money and I grabbed my pony. He is in bad need of getting his feet done, the clinches on his shoes are starting to pop and his back feet have little chips -- the spring grass has his feet growing like weeds! But they looked okay enough to ride (and we have nice footing). As I was grooming him and still shedding out the massive piles of fur around his back, I noticed him wiggling a lot more than usual in the cross ties. He's not the quietest horse in the cross ties, but he's not naughty either, so I was a little puzzled. I grabbed a softer curry comb and when I got to his back again he threw himself backwards and started snorting. Upon further examination it was clear that his back was VERY sore. He was extremely nervous about me touching it -- and there were sort of oval shaped puffy spots on either side of his spine). We pulled out every saddle in the tack room and tried them all on him to see if there was a glaring reason for the soreness. We put the Pessoa on that I've been borrowing and he snorted and protested. It fit horribly. I did notice a change in his demeanor the first time I threw a leg over him in that saddle, but he's so out of shape that I expect some soreness as he builds muscle. E's been riding him in her dressage saddle, which after playing musical saddles, we discovered was the only one that fit him (and I would say it fit him 80%). I also noticed dry spots on the pad from our long hack a week or so ago that would explain the location of the puffy, sore spots. I felt pretty bad for him but I wanted him to work because I know that part of his issue is simply a lack of muscle. He can build up some muscle without me on his back and right now I'm fine with that. There's no sense in riding him in a saddle that really doesn't fit and I'll just start looking around for something in the meantime. I realize his back is going to change quite a bit over the next few years and I'd love to hear your suggestions of a good all-round saddle to get us through for now! I'm looking for something wool-flocked with possibly an adjustable gullet system so I can change things up a little. And I don't mind spending some money on pads to make him as comfortable as possible.
![]() |
| Seriously? Adorable. |
![]() |
| Battle Redheads: This time it's personal. |
At this point in his training, it's all baby steps. I am taking things deliberately slow with him. I want him to have lots of little successes in his training and right now with my limited free time, this is a good plan for both of us. I'm hoping to make it out on Sunday for a little bit, and I likely just lunge him again, since we don't have our saddle issues figured out. It's good for our relationship to have solid groundwork, so all in all, I'm okay with that.
![]() |
| Hiding from the rain in their run-in shed, Bennet and Riley share some hay. |
In other news, Riley's boyfriend is moving on to a new home today, in fact, his exercise rider purchased him back she loved him so much! They will miss each other, I'm sure of it!



Bridle is pretty! Sorry things have been so out of control lately - I really hate when that happens as I am most definitely not a type A person and very much enjoy my downtime. Hope everything works itself out quickly so you can have more red pony time. Riley looks fabulous in his figure-8. Very handsome.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words! I need so much downtime to feel like a normal human being. Hopefully things will settle down soon.
DeleteOooo, discount Nun Finer? Show me the way! He looks great in that bridle.
ReplyDeleteYea! You can order a copy of their catalog and they'll mail order! But they have wayyyy more stuff at the shop, including nice neck straps, I might have to go back and grab one for xc schooling.
Delete:D
ReplyDeleteGlad the week from hell is over.
Some people hate Wintec saddles, but I love mine because I can adjust it. At the horse seminar I was at a few months ago I learned that a horse changes shape about 4 times a year. I like being able to change my saddle to fit. Now there are options for leather adjustable gullet saddles...I just don't know which ones are awesome! LOL. I'm lazy and prefer not to have to oil my saddle all the time. Plus the equisuide on some Wintecs when used with full seat breeches acts like Velcro and keeps you nice and secure in the saddle!
ReplyDelete