4.01.2014

On the horizon

I'm feeling quite confident about Riley's progress so far. We've had some ups and downs but that is to be expected of a green horse (I mean, he essentially had all of last year off). We're looking ahead at some little things to go to and so far we have:

*Brooklawn Paper Chase on April 5th (hopefully the footing is okay by then).
*Cheshire Pony Club Paper Chase on April 12th (this is one of my favorite paper chases and we can hack there from the farm, it's only 1.2 miles away!)
*I would love to get a xc schooling in before I go to an event, but if I can go to both paper chases, that should cover us on jumping little, solid things)
*Emily and I are debating between the Old Hope Schooling Trial (13th) and The Bucks County Horse Park Schooling Trial (18th) as our first proper outing of the year. I think we are leaning toward the Bucks event as it is in the afternoon on a Friday and will be logistically a little easier on both of us.
*Possibly the CT at Boyd's on the 26th

So, do I enter in the introductory or starter division at Bucks? Both have really simple dressage tests (walk-trot), neither xc is timed and is meant to be extremely inviting, stadium is either 14"-18" or 18"-2'. I guess I'll see how he is over the next two paper chases and make a decision. I haven't jumped in forever, but he also isn't the kind of horse that jumps you out of the tack, so I am not too worried about him being overly exuberant. I am slightly concerned he may have trouble leaving his buddies, but if we can go schooling before then I can probably test that out a little.

Feeling nervous, but very excited!!!!!



10 comments:

  1. I wouldn't recommend Bucks for the first event for any horse, no matter how calm. It's so cramped and crowded, and the atmosphere is so INSANE, that it's really easy for horses to get overwhelmed.

    You share the small warm up ring with both dressage and stadium, and the stadium course is smashed into a little ring that's bordered by the announcer's booth, secretary stand, warm up ring, and a dressage ring, with horses walking right by to all of the above. Total mass chaos.

    And I know it's probably just that I've never had a good time at Bucks, but I was talking to some riders at my clinic this past weekend and we were all saying the same thing. Also we were whining about how much Plantation makes us gasp for air with how hilly and long it is, so maybe we're ALL just lame. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me about how Bucks can be. I'm hoping it won't be too crazy because it's just a Friday afternoon event. I think since I do paper chases around Plantation all the time, I am used to the terrain, but it can also be completely overwhelming for some horses. I guess we'll go and see, if it's too crazy then we don't have to do anything:)

      Delete
    2. The terrain at plantation is insane but also fun! I ran my first training there. I've never been to bucks. Sounds like the chases will be great prep:)

      Delete
    3. I can't imagine running my first training there, I jump judge there all the time and it's a really tough course. Plus, you have to go up over the hill from SJ to go to xc and it's really tough for some horses!

      Delete
  2. What is a paper chase? As to the divisions, do the 18" to 2' division - small enough where he can pop over from a halt, big enough where he wont trip on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my first, I did 14-18. I think that was good for a first time. And then I did it again, because the next level offered was 18" to 2'3" and I wasn't ready for 2'3". I'm jealous of your 2' option!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paper chases will give you a good idea. I'm feeling totally prepared for intro 2' right now based on how awesome XC schooling was. :-) Can't wait to hear how the paper chases go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great plans, hope ye have a ball whatever you decide to do! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting! I don't know this area at all but from Carlys advice I would agree - if its busy and stressful you might want to reconsider...is there anywhere else a little more low key you can go?

    ReplyDelete