Last year I started looking for a new XC vest. I haven't worn one since I was a teenager and my body has certainly changed dramatically since then. I knew I wanted something Beta 3 tested (the regular Tipperary's are not) because if you're going to wear a safety vest it might as well have more protection than you think you need. Also, I don't care about looking svelte on horseback, I'm already wearing breeches and a helmet so any cute factor has gone out the window. I care about being safe and having equipment that fits correctly.
As it turns out, vests are not one size fits all and a quick search of COTH or the internet reveals that personal preference is all over the place when it comes to vests. Last summer I took a trip to Dover to get fitted for one and discovered that I am an odd shape. For reference sake, I am 5'6", 140lbs (about 5+ lbs over my normal weight), I wear a 36C bra and I have a 30.5" inseam... meaning I am a bit short backed (though I don't look it). The conclusion we came to at Dover was that nothing Tipperary makes fits me... we tried a Charles Owen JL9, which I really liked the feel of, but they would have had to order an adult front and child's back to make it fit properly... so I waited... and I researched. Word of mouth tends to be the way I stumble across most of my favorite purchases and after reading several threads about the Rodney Powell vests I decided to give them a closer look.
Even from a quick glance, you can see that the Rodney Powell is much shorter in the back than most vests:
![]() |
| Rodney Powell ($169-$219) |
![]() |
| Charles Owen Kontakt 5 ($236-$277) |
![]() |
| Tipperary Pro ($349) |
![]() |
| Charles Owen JL9 ($230) |
![]() |
| Tipperary ($259) |
As I was getting ready on Saturday for the hunter pace and I casually zipped on my half chaps, I cringed when I felt the toggle for the zipper snap off in my fingers! Luckily the chaps were all the way on (and well, stuck on for now) and I snapped the tab over them. They held up the rest of the day, but getting them off was a bit tricky. It was time to replace them. Since I got back into riding a few years ago I've been really hesitant about splurging on "nice" stuff. There's always that voice in the back of my head telling me not to spend lots of money because this is just a casual hobby. Since 2009 I've only bought 2 pairs of paddock boots and one pair of half chaps, more breeches than I care to admit, gloves, helmets, field boots (that I HATE), show apparel (that has not been used), etc, etc. But I take good care of my gear, I never leave my helmet in hot places, I try to keep anything leather clean and oiled, so it's not surprising even after all the abuse I've put them through, that my half chaps held up really well. To be clear, they were Dublin something-or-others that I think I spent maybe $50 on. My paddock boots are also made by Dublin and they were not expensive... I'm going to guess around $70, while I'm sure I could have found cheaper ones, I have to insist on real leather for longevity sake. I do everything in my paddock boots so they take a lot of abuse. Mucking, snow, rain, mud, they have to be able to stand up to anything I'm doing around the barn. I don't need them to be 100% waterproof, but I also don't want to soles letting in water when I walk through a puddle.
So Sunday I found myself in the position of having to find new paddock boots AND half chaps. After a few recommendations from friends, I made the trek to Dover to try some things on. I wasn't sold on the idea of half chaps and paddock boots, but I feel like they've come a long way design-wise and most lower level competitions accept them in place of field boots if they are full grain leather, black and match. Enter Tredstep. A friend of mine just got the Tredstep custom half chaps and raves about them. I'll admit, I had some boot envy when I saw hers. they are made out of beautiful leather, they have Spanish cut tops, they zip in the back and fit snugly around the ankle creating a really nice boot silhouette. I have impossibly small calves (circumference) and the length is normal so finding ones that will fit is often challenging. To make matters worse, my left calf is ever-so-slightly bigger than my right, which makes wearing my lovely field boots very painful at times. I tried on the Giotto laced paddock boots which I really liked the look of:
![]() |
| I really like the break mid-way in the leather and that they had false laces, they zip in the back |
I tried these on with the Tredstep custom half chaps on top. The half chap fit (after being measured) was better than any tall boot fit I've ever experienced. I was sold. But... The top of the zip on the paddock boots has a little tab to close the top, similar to a tall boot with a back zipper. So the profile of the half chap and paddock boot was, clunky. And I could already tell that over time, the half chap would take the brunt of the damage from having a little tab and button underneath it. I opted to try on on the same paddock boot with just a plain zipper in front (which, I actually prefer -- nothing like the though of getting your laces caught in the stirrup of a runaway horse to make you change your mind):
![]() |
| Very similar to the field type boot, but with a working zipper in front and overall a typical jodpur boot feet. I like that they sport the same break at the ankle joint. |
So I wound up with this combination:
![]() |
| And, I'm in love. |
What are your thoughts?








I just bought the Airowear Outlyne Ladies' Flexible Vest and I LOVE IT. When I first put it on I didnt think I could ride in it, it was SO much bigger/bulkier than my Tipperary I'd had since I was about 15 years old. But I went out and ran my course and it never got in my way. In fact I loved how substantial it felt vs. the old school Tipper, like, if I came flying off, this thing *might* actually help a little!
ReplyDeleteI bought a pair of Tredstep ProG2 gaiters back in November i think and I LOVE them!
ReplyDeleteReally like the look of their long boots also but have never tried on or bought a pair of longboots.
The Mountain Horse Firenze ones caught y eye in the past as I'm not a fan of the laces up the front of field boots - don't know why, purely aesthtic and a silly reason for disliking them ...they are probably more comfortable, but as I'm unlikely to be buying a pair anytime soon it's a decision I won't have to make for a while! :p