Like all horse people I am superstitious. Admit it, you know you are! For example, I ALWAYS wear two pairs of sock when I ride... and there are other things too... but I won't get into a laundry list of my idiosyncrasies right now. The point is, I am superstitious, to the extent that I try not to talk about certain things in my life out of fear of jinxing them. I mean, isn't a proven fact that when you talk about "X" something terrible happens?
No?
.
.
.
.
Okay... (deep breath) --
I've decided to buy a horse! After much convincing from my
bully horse friends, I've made the nerve-wracking decision to jump into horse ownership. This is a very big moment in my life and I am actually having a difficult time articulating how I feel about it (see: I want to burst with happiness/excitement/fear), but it's safe to say I've been waiting for this moment for 30 years. And while there won't be a series of posts about horse shopping and potential prospects, I can tell you that I have tried a few horses over the last few months that piqued my interest (one of which, was snatched up by Colleen Rutledge!), but in the back of my mind I knew that right now wasn't the best time to buy a horse, I wasn't really looking, I have other financial responsibilities.... and the list goes on and on. What I have found though, from reading countless blogs is that horses have a way of finding
you and they don't give a damn about timing.
But enough about my neurotic thought process... On to the pony!
As you could have surmised, I'm buying Pip. He was recently advertised for sale and when someone requested a video of him, my friend sent me an email offering me first dibs. I stewed over it for a few days, rode him in another hunter pace and could hardly say no.
So let's meet him:
Pippin, aka. Great Expectations, un-raced (but race trained) TB 16hh chestnut gelding with one sock and a blaze. For those pedigree junkies out there, he's got fantastic sport horse breeding, his Jockey Club name is
Women No Easy. Also, the fact that he was foaled on St.Patrick's Day is just icing on the cake for me. Here's a few photos:
 |
| Just after leaving the track (last fall 2012) |
 |
| He can move! |
 |
| Ho hum, yes I jump too! First time through a jump chute. |
I've had three rides on him and I can safely say I'm smitten. He's got such a trainable personality (apparently his lineage is known for that) and he's honest. He's the kind of horse that has cartoon-like personality and is just as sweet on the ground as he is under saddle. He has a lot to learn, but he's only 4 and so far he's hasn't said no to anything I've asked of him. Considering his education, taking him out on those hunter paces sealed the deal for me. He boldly went through water, across streams, up and down crazy hills at any gait, stood quietly when I needed him to, led, followed and jumped everything I pointed him at. At this point in my life I know what I want in a horse (see: not dangerous), something I can stick on the trailer and go do (__________), whether that be hunting, XC, jumpers, trail rides, or beach hacks . We've scheduled a PPE for Monday and barring anything crazy, we'll draft the paperwork.
Best of all, he leaves me feeling like this:
 |
| Smiles as far as the eye can see! |
I'm excited about what the future holds for us and I finally get to pick up things (after years and years of pouring through tack catalogs) for MY HORSE.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I feel so incredibly grateful for this moment in my life, and I won't soon forget the kindness of my horse friends (far and wide)!
PS. I'm changing his name... and I have some ideas but I might include them into a poll or the contest post. Stay tuned!
Sooooooo exciting! There is nothing like owning your own, nothing :)
ReplyDeleteI am thrilled beyond belief. I have a terrible habit of getting attached to project horses, so I finally have something to spoil and love within an inch of his life! YAY!
DeleteCongratulations! You are so right about horses finding you, and damn with your "timing" or "plans." Sounds like future hubs is a real winner to give you the A-ok!
ReplyDeleteThey are cheeky like that... But I do believe in things happening for a reason... so I think he's the right horse for me.
DeleteYay! So exciting! Welcome to the red pony club ;)
ReplyDeleteOMG, we need t-shirts.
Delete:D We so do.
DeleteYay I am SO happy for you!!!!!!! I knew you two had a great connection after reading about your hunter pace. Happy trails!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kate! It's been really inspiring reading through everyone's journey with their horse(s)... I feel supported and as ready as I'll ever be for this decision. I think he'll take good care of me:)
DeleteCongrats its a huge step but I think totally worth it!
ReplyDeleteYAY! So excited for you and your new red pony! He's gonna be wonderful and you two will do great things together!
ReplyDeleteKari, I hope to channel some positive red pony energy through you!
Delete:-) Plenty of great horsey news today!
DeleteFor every horse there is a person. Often times the person does not know that the horse is meant for them, but it seems as though the horse does. So when said person meets said horse, said horse goes out of their way to prove to said person that "Hey, we are meant to be together" At that point all the "smart" things like timing, go right out the window. How wonderful that your guy was able to see that, and not hold you back.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!
Cindy, he truly did seem to pick me. Not that he wouldn't have been foot perfect with anyone else, it's just that he's a bit goofy (like me) and he's just what I need in a horse! I really appreciate the support.
DeleteYAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteoh this is exciting!!! can't wait to hear more.
ReplyDeleteYayy! Congrats, he is so cute! I have a soft spot for orange geldings :)
ReplyDelete:D x 1000000!!
ReplyDelete:D :D :D SOOOOOOOOOO excited. It's perfect.
ReplyDeleteMy best friend owns a silk screening company, I have an American Apparel wholesale account, we just need a design!
DeleteWell, I know at least one of us is artsy...hint, hint ;)
DeleteLet the artsy one make the design! I'm in.
DeleteYAY!!!! How exciting! So happy for you!! :-D
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!
ReplyDeleteI am delighted for you - and have to say I was really rooting for this outcome!