Finally Saturday (after watching Rolex XC) I drove out to see him. I brought Kiki's old bridle to see if it might work for him (mostly because it has a full cheek). I don't know why, but I was really, really nervous. Has anyone else experienced this new-horse syndrome? I was so nervous that I literally forgot how to tack him up for a minute and got very tunnel-visioned. He was being quite naughty as he and his pasture mates had been careening around just before I arrived, and I pulled him at feeeding time. He's a very easy going horse 95% of the time, but he's a bit of an ass when there's food involved, so he was very squirrely for grooming and tacking. I had decided after our excitement at the PPE that we need to install proper lunging technique and it seemed like the perfect day to work out some kinks. He seems to understand lunging in a very basic way, but it was clear that he didn't understand cues, so we spent a little while working on simple transitions and proper behavior on the lunge. One he was warmed up a little I put a neck stretcher on him (on the easiest possible setting) to help him work on softening at the poll. He spent most of the time sort of fighting against it, but eventually relaxed and softened quite nicely. Seeing as he's just coming into work and he's still young, I only want to incorporate a few minutes of "hard" work at a time, so he doesn't get burned or or resentful. He definitely wanted to figure out how to answer what I was asking, and that made me very happy. I hopped on (with Kiki's bridle -- which fit like a glove and looked quite cute on him) and a different saddle to try. It's a Pessoa close contact saddle I'm borrowing (more on this later). We worked on more transitions on the flat in both directions and also worked on getting him to focus on me and not the other horse in the arena. He needs so much work on developing contact and bending, so I'm trying to mix up his work load to keep him forward and happy. I think in a few weeks, I'll be able to come up with a list of goals for us to work toward, but for now his rides are quite basic. The weather was beautiful all weekend and I was eager to go somewhere for another conditioning ride. My friend and I headed over to The Laurels Preserve which is essentially miles and miles of protected land with trail and open fields to ride in. There was a competitive trail ride going on (we passed a bunch of lovely looking horses along the way) which added a fun element to our ride since we were often going in the opposite direction of them.
![]() |
| Cheeky pony doesn't want to share his hay |
Riley started off a little looky and curious. We parked the trail down the road from the entrance, and we hopped on and had to walk along the road to get there. He was happy enough to follow his buddy, but definitely keeping an eye on the woolly donkeys and cows along the way. Once we got into the trail system he settled a bit. I have to remember to wrap my legs around him so he knows I'm there and that everything is fine. He seems to relax with that support. About 10 minutes into the ride we found a fun log to jump and we popped over it a few times with a small audience of couple and their two well-behaved dogs. E suggested I take Riley over to a stream to cross and come back, but he was not thrilled about this option. We had a bit of a discussion and I pulled him away to re-approach. We came back and he got very wiggly, and climbed up the bank to the right of the opening, I wasn't really sure what he was going to do once we were up there, and he wiggled around some more, leapt left and...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I fell off.
Luckily, I rolled mid air and landed on my shoulder a little but my hip/back took the brunt of the fall on a well-placed rock. I was inches from the water (which I was grateful for) and Riley didn't take off. Ouch. I got back on, re-approached defensively and we went in without drama. It was odd being that he's never had a problem with water before, but I think leaving his buddy and this being a pretty big stream made him question whether or not he really wanted to go. Needless to say, I'm eager to get him out XC schooling, since he's going to need to learn to walk, trot, and canter through water without a buddy! So, with dirt in my teeth (truly making me feel like an eventer) we continued on our ride. We were able to get in some really nice trot sets over gradual hilly terrain. We walked up and down most of the steeper hills for fitness and we found a really nice huge field to get some canter/gallops in. E was riding her 5 year old TB who thinks he knows best, and he was none too pleased with having to stay at Riley's speed. The first time, we cantered side by side up the hill, then let them out to a gallop at the top all the way across the field. The second time I went first, this time really driving him up the hill, and let him really go at the top (I got into a gallop position, tucked my fingers into the yoke and clucked him on), behind us E's horse just about lost his mind having to wait, and bucked in place until he relaxed and she let him go, I could hear them coming up behind us as I urged Riley on, they caught up with us and we had a nice gallop across the field. Having two very different horses, we tried to work on boosting their confidence in different ways. E's horse was VERY upset about not leading, so she forced him to walk side-by-side with us. Riley got very antsy and annoying standing still at various points, so we worked on that intermittently throughout the ride. We got in another nice slightly downhill trot set and walked the rest of the way home. Once they figured out where they were, they happily marched along the path back to the entrance. We rode for about 2 hours and the horses we quite tired by the time we got back to the trailer.
![]() |
| Petey is curious, and Riley says, "mmmmm, hay" |
![]() |
| Trailer buds. |



Hopefully you aren't too sore :(
ReplyDeleteYes, I know that feeling. I felt it when I got my stable management horse assigned my freshman year of college and again when I got Connor. Even though I board, I suddenly felt the huge weight of responsibility for this very large animal's every need, and it was hard to work through, even though I know what I'm doing. The feeling went away as we fell into a routine.
ReplyDeleteThere are just so many little things that I am unsure about, but I'm lucky to have two really good people at the same place that are giving me horse-ownership training wheels for now. Phew. Getting him insured also helped me sleep at night.
DeleteHow did I miss the naming memo?? Riley is adorbs. Sorry you fell, but at least you got it out of the way! Sounds like he's still being a good boy.
ReplyDeleteHa! I forgot to update that! I'm going to post a follow up, promise. But yea, he's going to be Irish Goodbye, aka. Riley.
DeleteEeek, sorry you fell! Maybe you need insurance too, jk :)
ReplyDeleteI don't think I'd be anywhere near a horse without great health insurance, I'm too much of a klutz
Delete:)
ReplyDeleteSlick saddles are annoying, but glad the bridle fits! I love hacking out.
Aimee, you would love it here! I've had 5 rides on him and 3 have been out in the wilderness! There's also a really nice field behind the property for conditioning, so I'm excited about doing that when we're by ourselves.
DeleteAnd that will be the first of many times that you are humbled by your horse ;) ;) ;) but the important thing is that you always get back in the saddle and try again.
ReplyDelete